Despite the development of medicine and the expansion of specialization, the specialty of the therapist is highly in demand. You can search for a good therapist near you by searching in google “therapists near me“. Almost all patients initially turn to him for advice on virtually any disease. He conducts an initial examination, gives directions for analysis and research, identifies the disease, schedules treatment. If necessary, clarify the diagnosis recommends to the patient a narrow specialist (cardiologist, rheumatologist, neurologist). Let us examine in more detail what the therapist treats, how many years you need to study to obtain a specialty and other aspects of the work.
Description and characteristics of the profession
The very first doctor to whom patients address their problems is a therapist. This person involved in the treatment of many organs and systems understands almost any pathology. But he cannot completely replace a cardiologist, neurologist, dermatologist, and other narrow specialists since each of them have his own tasks and methods of solution. The therapist has extensive knowledge and the ability to diagnose or suspect almost any disease. His qualifications allow the treatment of most of the patients who come to the reception. The exception is people who need the help of a surgeon or a traumatologist.
Specialties, universities, and subjects of the exam
In order to master such a profession as a therapist, it is necessary to obtain higher medical education in the specialty “General Medicine” for six years. After that, earlier it was required to spend another year to undergo additional training and practice, and then get a qualification certificate. Since 2018, a new resolution was issued on the abolition of the internship – instead, the student passes the test tasks and an exam at a specially created commission. After successful completion, the graduate receives permission to work independently. During the year, compulsory practice in an outpatient clinic or clinic follows, and then you can make a free choice. There is also an option to continue scientific education and go to residency for two years with a separation from the place of work. Throughout its duration, physicians receive points for accreditation, they are given in such cases:
- participation in scientific conferences;
- publication of articles;
- writing books on medical topics;
- defense of the thesis.
The number of points is calculated within 5 years, after which the accreditation commission decides whether the doctor can continue his practice. If there is not enough, then a decision will be made to ban further practical activities.
Doctors of a therapeutic profile are obliged to perform the following actions during a patient’s admission:
- initial examination, survey, medical history, and complaints;
- consultation of a condition before operation;
- follow-up treatment monitoring;
- referral to analysis and interpretation of their results;
- statement of the preliminary diagnosis and final on the profile; identification of dangerous infections, hospitalization of the patient and report to the SES;
- medical and social assistance;
- visiting patients at home;
- maintaining documentation (recording the results of the examination, issuance of sick leave and certificates at the place of demand, registration at the ITU, filling out a spa card, referral to a hospital, writing out prescriptions);
- medical examination, professional examinations, participation in the draft committee;
- disease prevention;
- management of the patient after discharge from the hospital; immunization and control of timely vaccination;
- referral to narrow specialists (if necessary);
- supervision of pregnant women.
The specialist also checks the dynamics of the person’s state during treatment, prescribes or cancels the drugs used, recommends diets, and provides emergency assistance in an acute situation.