In today’s world, a person’s looks are really important. People spend a lot of time getting their hair right, their skin right and they also make sure that they wear clothes that make them look good. But the first thing that people notice after you greet them with a smile is your teeth. If you happen to have a chipped or a missing tooth, then it might put people off if you are in a profession which puts you out there. Especially in the service industry your looks are what matters the most. In such cases, dental implants sweep in like a night in shining armor and saves the day. In this article, Dr. Jyotsna Ajankar, a well-known dentist from Andheri, Mumbai will tell us about dental implants and their use. She has a vast experience with dental implants and has helped many individuals regain their perfect smile.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are surgical fixtures that are placed into the jawbone and is allowed to fuse with the bone over a few months. After it has fused, it is the closest thing mimicking the natural tooth. The implant will maintain its integrity without affecting the nearby teeth. Over time, the materials and technology used for this process have been improved by leaps and bounds.
Today, the success rate of dental implants is a whopping 98%. If you are looking to get the procedure done, you should make sure that you undergo the procedure from doctors in big cities like Mumbai, Delhi or Bangalore. This will be a surety that you will receive the best treatment, from experienced dental surgeons that will use the latest technology to perform the procedure.
Why would one need Dental Implants?
This procedure is done by those who need to replace a single tooth, many teeth or all of their teeth. The goal of the dental implants is to restore the use of the missing teeth and to give a proper complete set of teeth, so that the person doesn’t feel embarrassed about his/her missing teeth.
Dentures are something which people have been using for quite a long time now. They may be the more affordable option but they are inconvenient because of their removable nature and the maintenance. It is also said that dentures can affect one’s taste and experience with food, which is not desirable.
Is the procedure a painful one?
- Before starting the procedure, a local anesthetic is administered and therefore no pain should be felt during the procedure.
- After the local anesthetic has worn off, the post-surgery pain will vary from case to case. The pain will be like that of a tooth extraction.
- A cold ice pack is placed over the area of surgery to help relieve the swelling.
- Jyotsna mentions that the post-surgery pain is managed by pain killers which will be prescribed by the doctor. Even necessary medication like mouth washes and antibiotics may be prescribed along with the pain killers.
What are the different types of Dental Implants?
There are mainly two types of dental implants:
These are made of titanium and are shaped like small screws, which are placed in the jawbone.
Unlike endosteal dental implants, these are placed under the gum or above the jawbone. This is done because the patient may not have a healthy enough jaw bone to undergo the procedure.
What should be expected from the Dental Implant surgery?
After the dental surgeon, decides that the site is suitable for the implant, the patient will come in for the surgical procedure. This is how the procedure will take place:
- Before the procedure begins, local anesthetic will be used to numb the area to reduce the pain and help with anxiety.
- The first stage of the surgery involves the extraction the tooth to be replaced. Most of the time, an alveolar bone graft is placed to achieve a solid base of bone for the implant. This site will be allowed to health for the next 2-6 months.
If the site doesn’t have a tooth and has bone loss, then a special onlay bone graft is placed on top of the existing jawbone. This procedure requires nearly 6 months of healing.
In some cases where there is enough bone present, then the damaged tooth can be extracted and the implant can be implanted in the same procedure.
- When the site is ready for implant, the titanium dental implant is placed into the bone using a special drill and other tools. A healing cap will be placed over the implant, the gum is stitched and the healing begins.
“The healing time depends greatly on the quality of bone present. It can be 2 months and can even extend till 6 months.”
- Jyotsna Ajankar
As time passes, the implant will fuse with the jaw bone and will become integrated with it.
What are the Dos and Don’ts after getting a Dental Implant?
The things you do after getting the procedure done can determine whether the dental implant will be a success or not. Here are some Dos and Don’ts which you need to follow to ensure its success:
- Take plenty of rest after the procedure which will facilitate the healing process.
- Keep the area cool with an ice pack and take the proper medications to help subside the swelling.
- Even though you might be on a temporary liquid diet, you should make sure that you have a balanced diet.
- After the surgery you need to make sure that you are keeping your mouth clean by regular brushing, flossing and warm saltwater gargling.
- Do the follow up check ups with your dental surgeon to check up on the progress of the healing process.
- Do not do any strenuous activities like exercise after your surgery.
- You need to avoid hot food and drinks as they can cause burns in the mouth. You may not feel it initially, but the burns have lasting effects on the tongue and tooth sensitivity.
- Avoid smoking.
- Don’t try to rush the natural process and make sure that your mouth heals properly. This will ensure functional dental implants that will last a lifetime.