Over the past five years, liposuction has become one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the US. Currently, the number of these procedures stands at 300,000 each year. As such, if you choose to undergo lipo suction, you will not be the only one.
One thing you will need to do before undergoing such a procedure is getting enough information on it. It is in this light that we seek to explore some of the most intricate details you should have in mind.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure whose aim is to remove excess fat from different parts of your body, especially within the abdomen. You could also refer to it as body contouring, lipo-plasty, or lipo. However, you should not assume that it is a weight-loss treatment.
Most often, it will be an ideal surgery for those who want to improve their body contouring or shape. It also suits those struggling with weight issues. Potential patients need to have the right muscle tone, reliable skin elasticity, not be overweight and be without excess skin.
Indeed, anesthesia will be vital in this procedure, as it is a painful one. Remember, you will experience pain both after the procedure and during recovery and you could get a few painkillers to help you in such instances. You should consider the following tips.
- Avoid salt as it might result in swelling
- Ensure that the drains remain in place after the surgery
- Do not hesitate to drink fluids
- Take the time to relax and rest
- Ensure that you put on the relevant or recommended compression garments
How long does the procedure take?
This procedure takes no more than two hours. The duration is dependent on the area where the procedure will take place. Given the little time taken, it will be fair to mention that it is an outpatient procedure. On top of that, the recovery will take between a few days and weeks, mostly not more than 30 days.
Usually, you will start seeing the results of this procedure months later. The operated area becomes much leaner with time, giving you the shape you so desire. These results will remain steadfast as long as you maintain your weight.
Types of procedures
You will be sure of up to four different procedures. The choice will be dependent on both your preferences and the body part to be operated. They include the following.
- Tumescent liposuction is the most common procedure in the US. It involves cutting small incisions and inserting a cannula under the skin.
- You could also opt for the laser-assisted procedure. It relies on high-intensity laser lights to break down fat.
- Power-aided liposuction relies on vibrations and a cannula to drain any excess fat within the abdomen.
- Ultrasound-assisted method. Here, the release of ultrasonic energy under your skin will come in handy in breaking down fat.
Indeed, liposuction is a procedure whose effectiveness cannot be overlooked. If you are struggling to lose weight, call Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute today.